Sunday, September 7, 2008

Shifting priorities

For years I have been so busy working on products for shows or doing special orders, that I hardly worked on the outlying supporting aspects like my web page or a blog. Even my paperwork has been just a big box of 'mess'. It is not that I did not want those things or thought them less important, I just never have enough time. Also, I admit, my perfectionism got in the way. Finally, I had enough! My studio underwent quite a transformation and is well organized. My workspace is redesigned and I can switch between projects without a major headache. Almost everything has its place now - just a few shelfs that need cutting etc. - and it is finally easy to put things away. I am very bad about putting things back, because that never seems to be a priority, but it leads to clutter and disorganization and I cannot work well in a mess.

Yesterday I filed all my papers and every product has its own folder, even ideas and sketches have a place - it actually feels really good. I have a show coming up in less than three weeks at the Spirit of Shrewsbury and maybe this time I will have a web page when people ask, the last years I had huge amounts of offerings, but no web page. After the show I am planning to work on my presence on Etsy, another things that I had wanted to do since years - obviously that is a common theme around here. Last month I listened to Randy Pausch's talk on time management and he speaks about doing the right things versus doing things right. That hit home and I thought about it and made some changes. I hope there is one change I can make successfully, and that is not to stay up all night in preparation for the show (or blogging for that matter).

Welcome to my crazy and creative and sometimes chaotic life and Good Night!

1 comment:

Christina said...

Good luck, good luck, good luck! Will keep an eye on this one, too.